The remaining provincial hearings on the Restitution of Land Rights Amendment Bill are taking place in January. Take note of the following dates to see when a hearing will happen in your province. You can download the Schedule here.
Submissions on the Restitution Bill were due on November 1. However, even if you have missed this deadline you should still send your submission to parliament.
The hearings are public so anyone can attend and speak. They are an important opportunity for you to have your voice heard. Despite the hearings being for purpose of public participation, they have been very poorly advertised. The first workshop, scheduled to take place on November 7th in Piketberg, was cancelled the day before, leaving many communities in the lurch.
Below are the provisional dates for the hearings in January:
- North West: Monday 13 January in Dr Ruth Mompati district municipality (Ipelegeng Community Hall in Mamusa)
AND Tuesday 14 January in Greater Taung Municipality (Mabona Taung Art Municipality Hall)
- Northern Cape: Wednesday 15 January in Kuruman (John Taolo Community Hall)
AND Thursday 16 January in ZF Mgcawu district municipality (Tol Speelman Community Hall)
- Free State: Monday 20 January in Qwaqwa (Ediqwa Hall, Charles Mopeli Stadium)
AND Tuesday 21 January in Mangaung (Kaizer Sebothelo Arena, Botshabelo)
- Gauteng: Thursday 23 January in Vereeniging (Vereeniging City Hall)
AND Friday24 January in Braamfontein, Johannesburg (Metropolitan Centre, Council Chamber Wing, 158 Civic Boulevard)
National Public Hearings in Cape Town in 2014:
- Gugulethu Sports Complex, Dullah Omar St in Gugulethu: Tuesday 28 January, 9am-4pm
- E249 Sec Floor New Wing, National Assembly, Parliament: Wednesday 29 January
Download the full schedule.
Hearings have already taken place in the following provinces:
- Western Cape: Friday 8 November in Eden Valley district municipality (Convene Civic in George)
- Eastern Cape: Monday 11 November in Sara Baartman district municipality (Moses Mabida Community Hall in Kirkwood)
AND Tuesday 12 November in Alfred Ndzo district municipality (Alfred Ndzo Community Centre in Mount Ayliff)
- Kwa-Zulu Natal: Thursday 14 November in Ulundi district municipality (Old Legislature in Ulundi)
AND Friday 15 November in Thukela district municipality (Utility Hall – Emnambithi)
- Limpopo: Monday 18 November in Sekhukhune district municipality (Moses Mabotha Civic Centre in Burgersfort, Sekhukhune district – 1 Kastania Street, Burgersfort Tel: 013 231 1000)
AND Tuesday 19 November in Waterburg district municipality (OR Tambo Municipality Hall in Waterburg)
- Mpumalanga: Thursday 21 November in Ehlazeni district municipality (Mbombela Stadium in Nelspruit)
AND Friday 22 November in Nkangala district municipality (Eric Jiyane Community Hall – Middelburg)